Tandi

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Maybe I'm not made for TV

THIS WEEK:
I did a lot this week so far, I don't even know where to start.

*Last Friday I went and did a package at the beautiful Scottish Rite Cathedral in New Castle, and as usual, things didn't go as planned. I still needed to get my last stand-up and an interview after the concert and the back up battery was dead. It was too late to go and get another one, and I don't have any time to reshoot, that's why I did a package on a Friday night. My last package didn't go well either. I'm really feeling the pressure cause I really want good packages for my resume tape, but things never work out right. It makes me think that maybe, I'm not cut out for TV news reporting. The thing is, it's always problems that I can't control. I thought my package would look better when I edited it, but it didn't and I'm not happy with it at all. Oh well, I guess this is what happens sometimes and you have to roll with it and keep going.

*Something that did go well this week, my group and I had our TV pitch project presentation and it went very well. Our story was the "Wonder Year's" meets "My So Called Life," but we follow the life of an adolescent girl in the 80's to early 90's. The class seemed to be very interested and I thought it was a great idea. I was very proud of my group. They did a great job.

*I did my program director duties, scheduling music and listening to the DJ's to make sure they are reading the on air promos that I wrote out and making sure everything is running smoothly. I've talked with a couple local businesses to do some remotes and promotions in the near future. I've heard a lot of good feedback about the music on the station.

*In NEWS, Amanda Hauger and I got sound and had a Breaking News story. We got the sound like 5 minutes before our news cast and we still got it on. It was a rush, but I love that feeling. I love the adrenaline. We were hoping to make it to the AP wire, but they already had the story on it.

*This hasn't been my best week because I'm feeling pressure and beginning to get worn out. I need to rest and think about things. I never seem to have time to do that. It is a realization that as much as I want to do everything, I just can't. I have to say "NO" to some things.

*My parents that live in Jacksonville are pressuring me to move there after graduation, but they don't understand the business and they've never really approved of me getting into this business. They want me to still consider psychology and go to grad school. They don't understand that this profession is me and I LOVE IT! They want me to move there and quit Froggy, which is like Broadcast suicide. I can't leave something in the business and I won't. I have to take my own path, but everybody wants their parents approval and I wish I had mine.

*I'm on Froggy this weekend from 7 to midnight on Saturday. TUNE IN! 98.3, 104.3, 103.5, and 94.9!



ARTICLE:

*
Number Of AM Stations Still On Downswing

The FCC's latest quarterly station count indicates that the number of commercial AM stations on the air slid from 4,803 at the end of Q3 2003 to 4,770 at the end of Q3 2004. This continues a trend that has been seen by the senior broadcast band all year. At the same time, the FCC counts 6,217 FM stations on the air at the end of Q3. That's 10 more than last year. Including noncommercial FMs, there were a total of 13,450 radio stations on the air at the end of Q3.

Why do you think that there are less and less AM stations? Are people sick of talk radio? Is there a new audience that needs to be reached?


MORE UPDATES NEXT WEEK....Come back to my blog!

1 Comments:

At November 4, 2004 at 12:59 PM, Blogger Laura K. said...

Tand - I definately think that the younger listeners are not fans of talk radio - I know that I myself used to switch the station every time a commercial came on or a DJ started talking on an FM station. I think AM stations might be something you grow into as you get older, or depending on your family life, maybe you enjoy them growing up and grow into them in that way. It is a shame that the number of stations is dropping though, especially because both of my internships are at newstalk AM radio stations that also provide the news for the connected FM stations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home