Tandi

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Balancing

This week:
* I conducted aircheck week this week as part of my position as Program Director. This will give me a chance to listen to and critique and help the on-air personalities improve on their on air skills. I'm excited about listening to all of them.

*I helped shoot, edit and reported a television package this week. I have primarily taken myself out of tv, but I like to do packages occasionally. I did a package on the dress code in a public school, or Wilmington High school. The interview was good, but I had to rush around to get all the shots in that I wanted for my package. It aired on our News magazine, "The County Line." I enjoyed the switch from radio to tv for a brief moment.

*This was a huge week at Froggy for me. I have to admit that I am worn out, but I love this business and I will do anything to get ahead! I worked the midnight to 5 shift twice this week and I'm going to be on Saturday night from 7 to midnight. I will be on Saturday 7 to midnight for the rest of October. Sounds good to me! A prime shift in a #23 Market!

*I have my morning show on Friday! Sebastian agreed to cook Karen Waldo and I dinner since on our morning show "Driver in the Fast Lane" last week he said women should always cook dinner. We had a little contest and if a women called in first, he had to cook me and the winner dinner. He hasn't done it yet, but it sure will be something to talk about on our show. I love our morning show! This is something I would absolutely LOVE to do when I graduate. Stations are largely identified by their morning shows and I would love to be a part of that!

*I have my presentation in capstone and I will be talking about my internship experience.

*The Dean of Student Affairs contacted me about conducting a lead seminar about music and radio in our culture today with officials, faculty, and students. This is happening on October 14th at 11:35AM. I will keep my blog updated with more information!


ARTICLE:

*The NAB will "probably prevail" again in preventing further regulation of broadcasting, Sen. JOHN McCAIN (R-AZ) said after the TUESDAY SENATE COMMERCE COMMITTEE hearing on media ownership consolidation.
McCAIN's resignation to a lack of major rollbacks to the FCC's ownership rules came after testimony by several speakers from the academic world, including PENN law professor C. EDWIN BAKER, who called restrictions on media ownership "vitally important to democracy" and advocated taking ownership out of the hands of large companies.
On the other hand, argued CATO INSTITUTE Dir./Telecommunications Studies ADAM THIERER, the explosion of alternate media sources via cable, satellite, and the Internet mean that concentration of broadcast ownership has had less effect on public choices. McCAIN said he would not "give up the fight" because at some point, the public will "be disturbed by the situation."


*I agree with the fact that ownership has had less effect on public choices. With advanced technology, broadcast ownership seems not to affect the public anymore. I also think though that ownership out of the hands of large companies could be a good thing. We migth begin to hear the radio and watch television and see some new things.

2 Comments:

At October 3, 2004 at 11:37 AM, Blogger Laura K. said...

Tandi - do you have any suggestions to offer me on "what" to include on a resume tape or how long the tape should be for a DJ position? Thanks!

 
At October 6, 2004 at 12:34 PM, Blogger Tandi Lane said...

Yes I do Laura. Make sure you search through and incluse your best of the BEST talk breaks. I would include a variety of things. Include a weather jingle, a talk of choice where you put your opinion and personality or flare if you will into it. Put a promo that you read on the air on it. Make sure your tape is new and fresh when you send it. Program Directors love hearing a tape when the DJ sends a new topical tape. For example, if a job opened up today and you sent a tape with a talk break about new Cd's that wre realeased this week, they love that. Also, make this SHORT! Program Direcotrs tend to only listen to resume tapes for 30 seconds. They know what they want, so the beginning of your tape must be OUTSTANDING! If you want to know more or you want me to listen to it, let me know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home