Tandi

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

I made the AP wire!

I'M A NEWS REPORTER TOO!

This was a fun and different week for me in the broadcast realm og things. I still attended to my duties as Program Director, but this was the week for NEWS for me!

I produced, reported, and anchored the newscast at 4PM on Monday, did the same for 7,8,and 9 Tuesday morning, and I went out to do a live report that day as well! I also helped multiple people prepare their newscasts and work the equipment since this was the first week for news..some people needed help, but all of us Seniors and our great News Director Megan Marshall helped the "newbies" to make some great newscasts.

CHRIS HEINZ AND AP!

On Tuesday, we recieved a Press release about the fact that Chris Heinz the stepson of John Kerry was going to be at nearby Slippery Rock University for a rally to get college students to register to vote.

I was eager to take on this task! I went with my professor, Bradley Weaver and I recorded everything I could and I recieved multiple usable soundbites from both Chris Heinz and the Pennsylvania State representative Frank LaGrotta. They were both very passionate and it was thrilling to be at this event. I did a live report from the rally and I came back to the station and cut 2 stories to run for newscasts later that day! What was even more thrilling was that Mr. Weaver sent my stories into the Associated Press and they took it! My Chris Heinz story appeared on the AP wire at 1:36AM and I got credit for it! This made me enjoy reporting! I love going out and being with people! The Slippery Rock Paper took a picture of me with Chris Heinz and it will be on their front page this Friday! Their paper is called "The Rocket." I realized that I might like doing news too. I may not have as much of a love for it as I do announcing and being on the air as an on-air personality, but I do love it too! It's quite a rush!

*Here is a picture of Chris Heinz talking to students and a website that you should check out that encourages students to vote...

www.Johnkerry.com/communities/students/


PROGRAMMING:

I also held my weekly music commitee meeting with my music direcotr and we made some decisions based on the HotAC charts.

I trained someone new and eager to learn about radio.

I have my morning show with Sebastian on Friday "Driver in the Fast Lane," which should be a good time!

I listened and critiqued morning shows and disc jockeys on-air personalities. They need more enthusiasm or the audience will change the station and we don't want that to happen!

We also ran a poster sale contest this week! Listeners had to be the 8th caller and they won a music poster. They were posters of Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, the Beatles, and many others!

FROGGY

I'm heading back out to Froggy this Friday night! I'll be on from midinight to 6AM on 98.3, 104.3, 103.5, and 94.9! Please tune in! You'll even get to hear me use my lovely froggy name! I'll keep you in suspense!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELISSA BATULIS!

Melissa is a friend of mine that is an assistant producer at WTAE, channel 4 in Pittsburgh! She is also a Westminster Alumni and it's her birthday on Saturday! She'll be 24! We're going to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner and to the Southside for some fun and dancing!













2 Comments:

At September 11, 2004 at 7:20 PM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Hey, FANTASTIC hustle with the news on top of everything else this week!

Here's a direct link to your picture with Chris Heinz-- I can't put it into html format on a comment:

http://www.westminster.edu/student/orgs/radio/Digital%2088.9%20News,%20Titan%20Radio,%20WWNW-FM,%20New%20Wilmington,%20PA_files/heinz@SRU.jpg

 
At September 14, 2004 at 11:36 AM, Blogger Tandi Lane said...

Thank you Mr. Weaver! I really enjoyed the news this week! Thanks for all the help!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home